Monday, June 13, 2011

My Reflection (my first appearance)

The weekend came and went!  Seems like time just flies...just like that ball from my first pitch with the Bandits on Saturday night, lol  For those of you that are curious about my arm that did not make it to the game.  Yes, I did make it to the plate.  Yes, the catcher was able to catch it. But my throw was rather high.  The whole crowd, a full stadium now..."Whhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" LOL!!!  If you can just imagine everyone in unison.  A lil embarassing when you got these 9-year-olds in front of you throwing nice low fast balls. (like a basball player)  I mean they had the form and everything!  They probably had lots of practice because that was their sport and got to throw a few before the game.  Me, however, I was late and did not get to practice.  Talk about a downfall of not being from here, I still get lost.  I made it in time.  Just not in enough time to practice.  As soon as I got there I was lead onto the field and BAM!! Here we go!

It was rather interesting.  They handed out bobble heads of Tim Dwight who used to play for Iowa and apparently went pro.  I am not into sports enough to know who he is, but I took advantage of the opportunity to get a pic and for him to autograph my commemorative first throw baseball.  You should have seen the line!!!! I was like wow!  So now that I am an "Iowan" I might as well have joined in the Iowan thing to do right??  He immediately asked where I was from as I did not "talk like" I was from here.  It was pretty neat to get a good luck at nationals from a high profile star.  I even booked an appearance in the process.  There was a man in front of me in line that I asked if I did "lower scale" appearances.  No appearance is too big or too small, especially when it comes to raising money for a good cause.  This man explained to me that he runs a golf tournament in November to raise money for scholarships.  He asked if I would be interested in helping out.  So of course I accepted.  Just kinda neat how that works out.

The game itself was entertaining and the food was good.  Since I have gone back to training I have cut a lot of stuff out in the past couple of weeks, but I couldn't help but have some fun treats at the game.  Remember, any true diet or eating lifestyle change does not eliminate treating yourself once in a while.  It is much harder to stay on task when you just completely cut out some of the fun stuff to eat that is calorie loaded.  I chose a hawaiian shaved ice (not the vodka one, I might add) and an order of deluxe chips from the rudy's tacos stand.  It was well worth it.  I was also selling my leukemia awareness bracelets.  (please tell me why I did not have them set me up a table)  So I didn't sell as many as I would have liked but I did get some sold.  I even made my own labels with the Coed pageant logo, my name, title, and a link to this blog for others to follow.  They turned out really good.

I just want to say that young children are the most receptive of anything that goes on with a great cause and being a beauty queen.  The thing I cherish the most is kids running up to me wanting autographs and pics.  Most of them were the ones that bought the bracelets too, might I add.  The highlight of my night was when I heard a lil girl yell from way up in the stands at the very top, "Ms. Iowa!!!!"  It was bitter sweet because I am so used to being called Miss KY.  That right there was my true confirmation that I am now an Iowan and that I now stand for Iowa. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment