Thursday, June 23, 2011

My first appearance with Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

As you know, from my blog yesterday, I had a speaking appearance with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at their Annual Corporate Cocktail Reception.  We had a small crowd, but it was the quality of the people that were there...  We had representatives from a radio station, the corporate chair for the Quad Cities area, CSL plasma, Camp Heart Connection (leukemia camp for children), and others that I can not remember.  Our patient ambassador was there, Alyssa, who is only 19-years old and a 13-year survivor spoke on her experiences as a patient and what she went through.  Melanie Brown, our Executive Director for the Iowa Chapter, spoke on how she started the chapter in her home and branched out into an office and how working with LLS has had an impact on her life.  Warren Lloyd, the Corporate Walk Chair for the Quad Cities and Vice-President KJWW Engineering in Rock Island, gave statistics and facts from his daughter, who is in her residency as a doctor about working with patients who have Leukemia and what needed to be done.

All of this information was very helpful and eye-opening.  It really gave a positive insight on the survival rate of Leukemia and improvements that are made on the quality of life for patients through a lot of research that has not only been done in the U.S. but in Europe and Canada as well!!!  Those numbers that I gave you from a 2000 statistic are scary, but have improved because of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  All that money that is donated helps with research and financial aid for families struggling to pay co-pays and other bills associated with the care of a Leukemia patient.

When it was my turn to speak I guess the mood kind of changed.  Everyone was talking about the great survival stories, seeing children who once had leukemia/who are in remission graduating high school, etc.  Then I get up there and I talk about my experiences remembering what my dad had told me about things he had went through and difficulties and the unhappy ending.  I didn't want to cry, but I did.  I was happy for those with the happy stories but I guess I got lost in what I had to say and the saddness returned, realizing that my dad was not one of the lucky ones.  I can usually keep it together, but not this time.  I hoped that the people there were able to realize that it is not always a happy ending and I ended by saying "Maybe one day there won't be a 22-year-old girl sitting in a funeral because her father lost his battle with Leukemia." 

The Executive director, Melanie, was at my table and she put her hand over mine.  She knew all too well the feeling that I was having and have dealt with a number of families who have had the same results.  Many came up to me and thanked me for sharing.  When everyone had left I was able to sit down and have a few laughs with the staff of LLS of Iowa and started talking about the Kick Off Party that would be more positive on July 12th.  Jessica Reiter, the campaign manager, told me that they looked forward to seeing me on the 12th and I would again share my story.  I jokingly said "And this time I AM NOT GOING TO CRY!" lol  It made me feel better when Melanie came over and gave me a hug and told me, "You just never know, I sometimes cry too."

No comments:

Post a Comment