Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Has anyone dealt with the death of a pet????

I must say that these past few days have been a bit of an emotional roller coaster.  After about 11 years our family lost our pet border collie mix, Sam.  It is really hard at these times being so far away.  Over 500 miles away from home and there is not much I can do at this point.  It was really sad in that my mom had just moved into a house where she could actually keep her close and give her the "good" life that she deserved.

Some people may not understand the loss of a pet because either they have never had one pass or have never owned one.  It is much like losing the death of a family member or someone close, but on a different scale.  I made the mistake once of comparing losing a pet to the death of a child, and although I did not mean to offend anyone, I did.  So let me say this.  Family pets are family, but of course, it is not the same as losing a person, but VERY close to it.

I lost a few dogs as a child.  But I don't think I was ever as emotionally attached or had them as long as I have had the pets that I have now or the one that just died.  My emotions have been mixed in that I already deal with depression, so I am kind of extra sensitive to things like this, but also, some may ask themselves, including myself, "is it silly to grieve over an animal"?  Pet loss links on the internet say NO.  Our pets are part of our everyday lives.  Part of our routines and how we operate from day to day. 

Sam did not live with me, but there was the attachment of having her around or available for visiting, walking, treats, etc.  There are memories there of her as a puppy and how we got her.  If any of you pet lovers out there are like me, we buy them gifts for holidays, birthdays, and give them nick and lots of hugs and belly rubs.  They appreciate that and it makes us feel good in return because they give us unconditional love.  So why not grieve the same way we would grieve for a loved one?  It's not silly, you are dealing with a loss.  Just like getting used to having someone around that we have loved and then they die, we are used to having our "furry family members" around and when we lose them to a death it is not something unusual that should be ignored.

Dealing with depression as the result of a loss has taught me a lot.  I held a lot in and kept moving in my day to day activities, including going to class the day after my dad was buried, and that IS NOT a good idea.  You must take time out to grieve. Whether it is a person or just your pet.  Like me, not dealing with a grief can cause a severe depression.  Don't think that just because it is a pet that the same can not be true.

Much like the death of a person when we deal with the loss of a pet we deal with a series of emotions, in which I would be lying if I said I have not felt some if not all of these, guilt, anger, saddness, denial, etc.  Just like sources on the net have stated, the guilt ate me alive in thinking what could I have done? I should have called the vet and tried to talk them into them keeping her and that we have been loyal patrons of theirs for over 10 years.  I have been mad at myself for not doing so,  then I was mad that she was gone, mad that I did not spend more time with her and visited her everytime I was home, then in denial because I have not seen her, still thinking she is at my mom's house, and just plain sad and disappointed because of the memories and we loved her so much.  Sad because I won't get to see her when I go home in a few weeks.

Today Sam will be buried and I won't get to be there with my mom as I know she is hurting from the loss of her everyday companion.  Now left with an empty house.  It can't be easy and I am fortunate to have my own pooch that is doing well on his seizure medication.  Such a lovable guy.  I can't imagine not coming home and him not greeting me at the door or sleeping with me at night.  My pet really makes my life whole and I know this is how my mom felt about Sam.

For anyone who is dealing with the loss of a pet or knows someone who is, I have found the link below to be quite helpful.  Please feel free to share or make any comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment