Thursday, June 16, 2011

I tackled my childhood fear!! One of them anyway...

When I was a kid I used to hate scary movies, but my parents would always watch them.  Me being the kid that I was, I had to be right there and no, ifs, ands, or buts about it.  People think I am much younger than I am and I am grateful for that. (It makes my day!!!)  Back in my day there were no warnings for movies that said your kid may be really scared or have nightmares if you watch this.  It least not that I can remember.

This time of year, right around Father's Day I really miss my dad.  When I think of watching scary movies as a kid I think of him.  Last night I went to Wal-Mart and went to the ol Redbox and noticed that the new Freddie Krueger movie was for rent.  I must tell you that Freddie was my ultimate childhood scary dude, besides Candyman, but he was much later...  I remember freaking out when we moved into an apartment that had stairs because I thought my feet were going to sink in them and he was going to get me, just like in the movie.  Every time I was at my grandmother's house I thought he was going to appear outside because I remember in the movie outside there were shadows of tree branches in a scene and he just came out of nowhere.  Talk about traumatized!!!!! LOL! But really, back then, the thought of someone killing you in your dreams and dying if you fell asleep...now that was something to be scared of.  Not to mention that one had that had the bladed fingertips to slash you with.

So last night when I got home I popped it into the good ol Mickey Mouse DVD player (yes I have a mickey mouse dvd player, and no it is not the only dvd player I own, I have a grown up one too, LOL! But I am a huge Mickey Mouse fan so it fits)  The beginning of the movie was much scarier than the rest of it.  I was not impressed by Freddie's face as he looked much scarier in the older version.  It was actually kind of comical the lines that he used.  I was really thinking... was the movie when I was a kid just as corny??? I thought the story line was just a lil ridiculous.  Really? Killing kids that he loved that were part of a preschool class?  Why not go after the parents??  They were the ones that acted... I guess it is JUST A MOVIE.

So there you have it.  Freddie Krueger, you don't scare me anymore.  It is 20 years later and I can honestly say "I am over it" lol

No comments:

Post a Comment