Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Introduction

I truely feel that at this point in my life a new chapter has begun in my life.  I intend to make 2011 a year like never before and so far I can't say that I am disappointed, not totally anyway.  As Ms. Iowa American Coed 2011 I want to draw awareness to the "it" we don't like to talk about.  That "it" is mental illness.  This platform I have chosen is not just any platform, but one that I deal with personally.  I am my platforms, the other being Leukemia awareness.  No, I don't have Leukemia, but my father passed away because of Leukemia, and that is not to say that I will never have to deal with it, which I hope that the genetics do not pass it to me...

So at this time I would like to focus on mental health as it effects myself and many people in the area that I live, not to mention across the state of Iowa and even across the U.S.  The purpose of this blog will be to keep up with me in my daily life living with a mental illness and what I go through as an ongoing therapy for me.  I would also hope that this would make those understand from just one person's point of view the illness and those that have not had the courage to talk about it be comfortable to reach out for help.  I know all too well that feeling, but am happy that I am at the point where I can be open.

Please feel free to follow and comment.  You never know who may be reading and how your information or personal story may help someone. Please read the attached link from the DeWitt Observer regarding my background story and how you can get involved in this area.

http://www.dewittobserver.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=6702&TM=49129.23

No comments:

Post a Comment