Thursday, September 1, 2011

NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illnesses)

Are you familiar with NAMI?  Apparently I was not either and really wish I would have known about this organization sooner!!  I learned of this organization through Jay Kidwell of Channel 4 News Sports.  He was very impressed with my story and came and suggested that he put my name out there to the right people for an upcoming event the first week of October.  Well, you know me, I just had to dig in and do some research.  I wanted to know more!  NAMI stands for National Alliance for Mental Illnesses and their whole focus, and my platform as well, is to help break this mental health stigma!!  They too will be holding a walk soon on October 1, 2011 at the Schweibert Park in Rock Island, IL.  I emailed the president of the local group and expressed my interest in getting involved with this organization because I too deal with mental illness and have been getting out in the community to share my story to try to help break this cycle of the stigma that society has created.  I got a response back from the lady in charge of the walk and was invited to their board meeting last night in which I got to meet everyone who was on the board.  An OUTSTANDING group... I am happy that I got 3 new appearances planned out of this group and I can't wait to do more!

So yes, I have double booked myself for a whole weekend, again! lol  But this is all for a good cause that I am passionate about.  There is no cost to register for the walk and the more the merrier!!!  I am truly excited about the whole weekend.  I will have the walk in the morning and then I will head to Addison, IL to make it in time for fashion show rehearsals for the Live Out Loud Charity Fashion Show for Suicide and Depression. Then Sunday is the fashion show!! WHOOO WEEEEE!!! lol

If you would like more information on NAMI or to register for the walk please visit http://www.nami.org/.  For Davenport, Iowa the link is http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Your_Local_NAMI&Template=/CustomSource/LocalDetail.cfm&localID=0000000087&fromHL=no&state=IA

For Rock Island, Illinois the link is http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Your_Local_NAMI&Template=/CustomSource/LocalDetail.cfm&localID=0000000075&fromHL=no&state=IL

There will be plenty of exciting things going on at the walk from free food, to entertainment, and of course I will be there doing pics, autographs, etc.  If you would like to make a difference in your area for Mental health just look on the main site and look up your local chapter.  Get involved! Donate! Advocate!  It is my hope that if I win the national title of Ms. American Coed I can travel and advocate on a national level.

To keep up with all my appearances on behalf of my platforms and other good causes throughout the community, please be sure to click "like" on my facebook page, "Monica Lacovitch, Ms. Iowa American Coed 2011"  I still have required space available for advertising in the national program book, so if you would like to put an ad for your organization or business all ads and money are due by September 25, 2011.  You can contact me at kyqueen4life@yahoo.com for more details on pricing and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment