Monday, October 10, 2011

NAMI WALK 2011

The past few weeks have been so crazy, but I have enjoyed every minute of it.  I wish there were rewards for the mileage on your car because let me tell you, I have been everywhere it seems!!  Let's start with Saturday, October 1, 2011.

I was told about this organization, NAMI, through Jay Kidwell of Channel 4 News at a previous appearance.  Again, Jay, thank you so much!!  This organization is exactly what I needed to be involved with as its mission is my mission through my community service through my platform of mental health awareness.  To break the Mental Health Stigma.

I didn't know what to expect when I showed up as far as a crowd, but this was a huge crowd that was full of people with their dogs, including my snoopy, and many people who had mental illnesses of all types, along with their family, friends, and supporters.  It felt really good to be around people that actually understand.  Many came up to me with hugs, wanting pictures, autographs, and I passed out my cards telling them they could follow my blog as I talk about my appearances and personal dealings with mental illness.  One lady came to a table I was standing at with pictures for signing and she introduced herself.  I told her I had a mental illness too and that I was recovering from Depression and Anxiety.  She said "really?"  and I told her I take meds just like she does.  Then she told me about her diagnosis and meds she takes.  It was this exchange of information that made me realize that me coming out and talking about it is making people more comfortable to talk about it.  She had a smile on her face that was not that of exactly joy, but kind of a relief.  She shook my hand and thanked me for coming.  What people fail to realize is, when I go out in support of mental health, it is not just for their organization or because I am a title holder.  This is the first time I am comfortable enough to go public with this and this is my healing in a way.  It makes me feel better to be around people and I get chills and a feeling of hope of breaking the stigma as every person comes and shares their stories with me. 

When I went on stage with my dog and announced to this large crowd of people my platforms and why I stand before them, there was a huge applause.  As I walked off stage, there was the mayor of Davenport and the Mayor of Rock Island. They both thanked me for coming out.  I told Mayor Gluba I felt honored to meet him as he was me and that I was happy to finally catch up with him.  It was then that we started on our walk at the start of the line and he shared his story about mental illness that runs in his family and how his daughter still struggles with hers to this day.  I learned a lot about myself talking to him and what his daughter went through.  I couldn't help but question some things that I had done in my past since my dad died that fit some of the things he was talking about.  We walked the whole walk together and at the end of the walk he wanted one of my autographed photos and I gave him my card.  What a nice person to meet and it makes me feel good that there is someone that high in the community that has their own experiences and backs me in my efforts to spread the word on mental health awareness and breaking the stigma society has unfortunately created.

I took many pics, signed autographs and connected with many people that were there with mental illnesses.  Little did I know that these people love to support each other in any of their efforts to do other things.  I mentioned my walk for my dad coming up on Friday and many of them want to walk with me.  I just want to let any of them know that are reading this I really appreciate it.  Thank you again!!

4 comments:

  1. When reading this, I couldn't help but think of the famous Anne Frank quote: Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you Shane. That quote is awesome. I wish I was so intelligent to be able to remember things like that from things I have read. My memory is not what it used to be after my dad passed and can't retain things as well anymore... But... There is hope in my future to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person. You are able to do that, I would never be able to share my story as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Maria. I appreciate your kind words. I never think about what I am going to say when I get up to tell it and am always quite nervous as to how it will come out. I just speak from the heart :)

    ReplyDelete