Thursday, October 13, 2011

Live Out Loud Charity Fashion Show!!

Finally, time to blog about the rest of the weekend after the NAMI walk!!!  So I completed the NAMI walk and then me and the Snoopy dog had to head home so that I could start packing and getting ready for Part II of my, what I would like to call "Mental Health Weekend".  I mean it was, I did the walk in the morning and the rest of the weekend was the Live Out Loud Charity Function.

Live Out Loud Charity was founded by Sherrie Gearheart, a fellow queen friend who I admire so dearly, and was founded for the purpose of helping people who have depression/suicide issues.  This organization is dear to her because she had struggled with depression as a teen and it became more real as she lost a childhood friend to suicide.  This year was the 2nd annual Fashion Show celebrating life and giving people hope who think their life means nothing.  It also gave a look into Sherrie's story and the many venues she is using the organization to accomplish.  It was such an honor to be a part of a show that benefits those who are just like me.  I can't wait to see the DVD of the show.

This was a super long weekend which started out with a motivational seminar by Jo Jo Sayson who does these seminars all over the country and all over the world.  It was really uplifting the things he spoke on to help you see "the light"  I felt better coming out than when I did when I came in and that's all that mattered.  Not that I was feeling super depressed but I had a lot on my mind and my anxiety had been pretty bad within the past 48 hours prior to my showing up.

Sunday started off to a rough start.  I had to be up super early so I had time to get something to eat and my car wouldn't start.  I had to get a jump with cables I thought I did not have at 6am and it was freezing!  They don't call it the windy city for no reason!! Chicago was chilly that weekend during the night time hours.  To my amazement when I go to McDonald's for a bit and I go to get in my trunk for something there was a gray bag that had jumper cables in it.  Why was I thinking I didn't have jumper cables?  I really should know my mom better than that.  She does not let any vehicle of hers go without a set.  (being a single parent teaches you a lot of things and one of them is independence to not always depend on a man for everything, I got that from my mama, lol)  But this time I had to depend on this kind "man" who was working at the front desk of the hotel for a jump.  After that it was waiting around for hair and make-up to be done.  That was a majority of the day, well the first half.  Honestly, I had only brought my evening gown, the red one, for a just in case deal.  I was under the impression that titleholders/models had 2 outfits for the purpose of one for titleholder and one for model.  Glad I went with my gut, lol Only problem is, it needed to be fixed with hook and eye replacement and a bigger flatter hook for the band on the inside.  Good thing I brought those with me so in the midst of the craziness I was popping a squat with my dress, needle, thread, and the hooks and eyes to repair my gown.  THANK GOD FOR BEING FROM A FAMILY OF CRAFTINESS AND SEWERS or I would have been screwed, lol  Another thing to thank God for... PAGEANT MOMS, my dress was so wrinkled and needed to be pressed.  Two women adopted me for the day and took care of the dress just in time for me to wear it.  Love it!!  Unfortunately, later on a girl stepped on it and ripped it.  Good thing it was on the dress and not the train, so when I walked the train covered the ripped part of the gown.  I know she was upset, and boy was I too, but getting all up in arms about it was not going to change the situation or make anybody feel any better.  The bright side... well it wasn't my dress I am wearing to nationals :)

So it is Fashion show time and everyone looked great! Some very interesting looks.  Very creative designers we had that were area designers.  Who is the show starter for the title holders?? You guessed it and boy was I nervous, well, I think it was more of I did not know what to expect when I went out there.  I start out and all I see are flashes from cameras.  Many rounds of applause.  It was awesome.  I had bedhead, crazy make-up for my designer and I was dressed in my title attire.  Very interesting but it was so much fun.  I was really tired though, as there were it least 100 models, male and female.  Tight spaces, everyone changing in the same area, trying to get things on and off quickly then waiting for cues.  It was a real experience.  There were even Indian Designers who had just beautiful colored designs with sparkles everywhere.  I was thinking WOW!! The dancers always went in front of their line with a dance.  That was awesome from what I could see from the back.  Like I said, the DVD will be something to see!!  Two of the ladies, Betsy and Michelle, were there from the MJL Foundation and were right in the front row!  I could hear them saying my name.  It was awesome!  A true runway for a purpose and I loved it!

Five hours later of show, it was time to go home.  I had work the next day at 8:30 a.m.  I got home around 3 or so since I ended up getting lost.  I mean, I took the right way home, just not the quickest like the way I had come.  The upside was that I didn't have to pay all of those tolls on the way back.  Downside, it was like an extra 45 minutes added on my trip.  UGH!!!  Boy did I sleep and it felt great.  I had another week of appearances and things to do.  Catching up on sleep has been a task.

Everyone wanted to know details and how it went?  Well here it is almost 2 weeks later, lol  That just goes to show how busy I have been between work and platforms.  Being a titleholder is more than what some people think it is.  It takes dedication and hard work if you truly believe in your platform and the purpose.  You may hear me say omg, I had to be here there and everywhere, but at the end of the day I wouldn't change any of it for the world and it all goes for a great cause!!  GO NAMI!! GO LIVE OUT LOUD CHARITY!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Not all titleholders are as dedicated as you. Let's be honest here - you're just being modest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Thanks Shane. These platforms really mean alot to me. Titleholders must really think about a platform that they can relate too. My mental illness I deal with daily and hate the stigma society has created and want to continue to try to break it and get those suicide numbers down. The leukemia, well, words can't express how much I miss my daddy and it was the only thing I could think that I could do as a healing for others who deal with leukemia in his memory... I tell anyone, I am my platforms. :)

    ReplyDelete