Monday, July 23, 2012

Election 2012 "Obama, We Got Your Back" rally July 21, 2012

Saturday was a rather hot and interesting day.  Last minute notification, but hey, I must say it was all worth it.  I am not really sure how or why, but I am sure that MANY people had no idea that Gabrielle Union was paying a visit to the Quad Cities area at a small park in Davenport, IA to help spread the word and campaign that we need Obama back at the white house.  I think the one thing everyone can take away from her speech was "Where you at Mitt?" (Mitt Romney)

The day started off kind of slow.  There was a table with a few volunteers trying to get people to sign up to volunteer and register to vote in the coming months leading up to the election.  I had no idea that they were allowing people to have the option to vote by mail and that option also allows you to have a 30 day early vote with ballots being sent out on or around September 27th.  I also didn't know that Davenport is THE LOWEST ranked in numbers in the whole state of Iowa for registered voters. (smh)  Maybe that is why Gabrielle came here rather than some of the other places in the state, lol

Cameraman Raymond Rodriguez and another guy Andrew McCoy, acting as host as I am cohost for a project in which we taped our first segment.  We were basically going around and interviewing people about the importance of voting, were they registered, and what did they plan on doing to help bring the voting numbers back up and spreading the word.  I think there is one thing that everyone had in common, and that was "Obama, we got your back!"  We tried to interview as many people from as many different age groups, financial statuses, and backgrounds as possible just to get a feel for what everyone's thoughts were and if they were registered or planned on registering to vote.  I think the highlight of this one was the guy who was a volunteer who said that his probation officer made him volunteer.  My response, "hey, everyone is here for all reasons and you gotta do what you gotta do to make your time count for Obama."  We had some serious interviews and then you know me, I had to have a lil fun.  I went around asking people to repeat the Obama saying "YES WE CAN!" That was quite funny.  Some people were very enthusiastic while others just kind of said it like they lost a lil go go juice in the sun.

The event was jam packed with live performances from local artists such as Jay Wright and Playa Plato, free food, music, face painting, and last but not least, the arrival of Gabriel Union with her pep talk.  Honestly, I didn't know if she was really coming.  But she did, and she did a fantastic job.  Many of the things she pointed out I didn't know, which made me think, maybe I should read a lil more into my politics.  If there was anything that I was ever more sure about was the fact that I know where my vote is going and oh how I wished that one day I would get to meet Mr. Obama.  It was funny how I have kept saying that I wish I got to meet the president.  Well, I guess God somewhat answered my prayer.  I got to be present at an event for him in the presence of a well known actress who is doing her part to show the community "Obama, WE GOT YOUR BACK!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment