Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Reflection

2011 has just about come to a close.  I look back at the year and think about everything.  All in all, 2011 was a good year.  I could not have asked for anything more.  Accepting the title as Ms. Iowa 2011 brought so much opportunity.  I reached out to a lot of people who were in need and it felt good to be a lending ear for their stories.  Getting out in the community helped me realize that no matter where I am people are drawn to my positivity and I appreciate that.  I came to Iowa, country and all, and the community has accepted me with open arms, lol!  I have been here two years now so I guess I am considered a keeper and an official quad citian even though I don't talk like one.

I have had so many experiences this year from speaking at small class room settings, walking with the mayor of Davenport at the mental health NAMI walk, being the first to walk out in the Live Out Loud Charity Fashion Show before many people in the pageant and modeling industry in Chicago, to sharing my story before hundreds of people in Des Moines about losing my dad to Leukemia.  I did a lot of traveling and a lot of learning and slept when I could on top of working a full time job.  I have to give myself credit and a pat on the back.  I think one of my most favorite things was riding in the Festival of Trees parade with the MJL Foundation for Depression and Suicide Awareness.  The whole community was there and there were people I knew and didn't know who waved back.  I remember the first time I heard someone yell Ms. Iowa at my first pitch for the River Bandits.  A child, a lil girl who said she wanted to be just like me.  It's those moments that warm your heart.

Although my health isn't at its best I am still here.  I survived American Coed Pageant nationals and I had fun!  It's been a wild ride!  Now on to bigger and even better things.  My life is only going to get better and I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store!!! If it is anything like 2011 I can only be even more excited.  MJL Foundation, NAMI, Live Out Loud Charity, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Iowa, I WILL be seeing you next year!!!!!! Ms. Iowa 2011, I will always be me with or without a title.  My platforms and my passions make me who I am and that will NEVER change. :)

2 comments:

  1. I really liked you're post. Overall I think this might have been the fastest year I have been through. I will be looking for you at MJL next year. I will be there for Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great!! See you then!! and snoopy too :)

    ReplyDelete